The beautiful repair ray installed on the firewall structure is visible. Ray spent much of his spare time designing, manufacturing, and installing the repair details.

Project manager Jim Reynolds getting ready for Thunder Over Cedar Creek Lake Airshow this past weekend.

All hands on deck to shift the engine to line up the six mounting bolts for the engine to the firewall. After much "blessings" and grunting, the team, with a little help from our CAF A-26 friends across the hangar, managed to get it done.

Our second assistant crew chief is pushing the latest parts delivery to the work area. This is a 77 lb box with our spare carburetor inside. Not bad for a four year old, huh? Yes, the pressure carbs are huge and heavy. They have to be to feed gas to 18 big ol cylinders with 2800 cubes displacement.

Footage from the Thunder Over Cedar Creek Lake 2014 Airshow.

 Archive of past posts

Also this past weekend the right aileron was finished, and the left aileron is ready to be hung next Saturday.

David A got up on top to give Ed, who was driving Ichabod, signals on positioning the crane.

     This past Fourth of July weekend was an exciting one for Kay and her volunteers! Our Greatest Generation Aircraft DC-3 crew chief, Denis, completed his first solo flight on the Fourth of July! His instructor was Rand who also works on Kay and flies the Greatest Generation Aircraft DC-3. They used the 1940s era Porterfield aircraft in the museum. 

 A new image of the instrument panel.

As the avionics team worked through the instrument checkout, they discovered that the "Rate of Climb" indicator was leaking internally. In checking around for a new instrument, it was discovered that we had been left an Easter egg of sorts. At some point in time, the original instruments had been replaced by different gauges. The clue was the existing instruments had a range from 0-2000 ft/min. The original had 0-6000 ft/min. So we are in something of a dilemma. Fix or replace the one incorrect instrument and just go with it, or buy two new originals. Look at this picture of the differences. What do you think? Is it worth it to replace both or fix one? Would you help us obtain the new originals by donating a few bucks? If so, please use the donate button. It will make a difference in our decision. Thank you for your support, either way!

Ichabod Crane lifted the engine up and then it had to be guided into place with slight shifts in tilt and rotation until all the bolts went in. They are aligned with very close tolerance. The bolts will either go in or not. Easier said than done..

Next week the crew will continue to connect everything in preparation for ops check. One of the items will be removing the propeller from the number two engine and installing it on the number one engine. The crew will then remove the number two engine, tear it down, and send it off to the shop.

Our Crew Chief, J R Hofmann, Had a visitor on Saturday who greatly resembled him. His brother Jim was here visiting from New Jersey. That's him in the maroon colored T shirt. J R is pointing out the names that been signed by our Nimrod visitors on the side of Kay. Another of our volunteers, Stan, is talking to Jim.

We would like to share a new website for some friends of ours over in Mt Pleasant. Go check out the b-25 "God and Country," formerly "Pacific Prowler" and all their other aircraft!

Also be sure to visit the Warbird Information Exchange, here,to follow the most recent updates of the restoration or look back to when Kay first came to us.  



We also have a newly completed instrument panel!

Our avionics guru, larry, is finishing up the panel while jim s looks on.